3d Secure authentication is an additional security layer requested for some transactions placed through your online ordering system.
3D Secure, also known as a payer authentication, is a security protocol that helps to prevent fraud in online credit and debit card transactions. This additional security was initiated and created by Visa and Mastercard and it’s branded as ‘Verified by Visa’ and ‘Mastercard SecureCode’ respectively.
What cards can use 3D Secure?
As 3D Secure is controlled by VISA and Mastercard the following cards can be used : VISA, VISA DELTA, MASTERCARD, MASTERCARD DEBIT, INTERNATIONAL MAESTRO, UK MAESTRO, LASER, and VISA ELECTRON.
What are the benefits of using 3D Secure?
- No extra cost : There are no extra costs to using 3D Secure
- No extra effort: This is automated within the Flipdish online ordering system
- More payments will be accepted, fewer payments will be rejected, and the (already low) level of disputed payments will be even lower.
Are there any limitations of using this?
- Chargebacks can still occur : Fully authenticated 3D Secure transactions do not guarantee a liability shift, this is decided on the discretion of the merchant bank.
- Not all cards are part of the scheme : At the moment there are no similar initiatives for JCB or Diner’s club cards.
Flipdish fraud detection